- Plow routes are set up to open the major traffic routes and bus routes first. After all bus
routes are finished, we will plow the roads we feel cause the most problems for the public. This
is based on traffic volume, steepness and curves. We will continue plowing until all roads are
- The Town of Wolcott has three full-time road crew members to plow, sand and/or salt 48
miles of road. Each road crew employee has their own specific route, which takes anywhere
from four to five hours to complete. These routes only vary in case of any emergencies.
- The Town does not plow class four roads, trails, private roads or driveways.
- Road operations generally start at 3:00 a.m. on snowy weekdays to have the bus routes clear
by 6:30 a.m.
- Salt is not effective when the road temperature is below 20 degrees.
- The Town’s sand and salt is do be used for winter maintenance of the roads, not for private
commercial use, though Public use of the sand pile is permitted.
- In most cases there will be no road maintenance between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 3:00
a.m. The Road Foreman will monitor conditions and respond accordingly.
- Wolcott town roads have a weight limit of 24,000 pounds. Vehicles weighting over 24,000
pounds require excess weight permits that are filed annually with the town. All permits will be
temporarily suspended during mud season.